2nd USCLA Battery C
Battery C was initially called the 1st Louisiana Battery Light Artillery (African Descent). It was organized at John Hebron's Plantation called LaGrange in Warren County, Mississippi on November 6, 1863. The name was changed in the spring of 1864. Battery C was attached to Post at Goodrich Landing in the District of Vicksburg, Mississippi until May, 1864. Post of Louisiana, District of Vicksburg, Mississippi, to December 1864. Reserve Artillery, Post of Vicksburg, Mississippi, District of Vicksburg, Mississippi, to December, 1865. Post and garrison duty at Goodrich Landing, Vicksburg, and Milliken's Bend and in the Department of Mississippi till December, 1865. Mustered out December 28, 1865.
Pvt. Richard (Richmond) Walden was born in Williamson County around 1843. He was likely sold or taken by his enslavers to Mississippi. On October 26, 1863 when he was 45 years old, he enlisted at the Black River Bridge in Mississippi. He was described as a teamster. His Battery mustered in at the Hebron Plantation a few days after he enlisted, on November 6, 1863. He mustered out December 28, 1865 in Vicksburg, Mississippi. After the War, he appears to have stayed in the Vickburg area where he married and applied for a pension.
John Hebron's Plantation in Warren County, Mississippi was the site of the organization of Battery C of the 2nd US Colored Light Artillery in November 1863. Lost Mansions of Mississippi By Mary Carol Miller · 1996
Letter and envelope from William H. Fleisher, Hebron's Plantation, Mississippi, dated 11-8-1863. No military information is included, but Fleisher may have served in the 4th Regiment Illinois Volunteer Cavalry, Company E. This letter includes information about his unit's location near Vicksburg, and the organizing of a Negro army unit. Wichita State University